SOAR stands for Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration and is coordinated by the Center for the First-Year Experience (CFYE). At SOAR, you will begin your transition to UW–Madison by learning about academic advising, degree requirements, and campus resources. You will also enroll in your first-semester courses. SOAR provides the opportunity to:
- Gain exposure to the array of academic and social opportunities at UW–Madison.
- Begin to integrate into university life and UW–Madison culture.
- Think about what you would like your Wisconsin Experience to be.
- Gain an understanding of university policies, procedures, and processes.
SOAR facilitates the successful transition to the UW-Madison community through a shared experience for all new undergraduate students and their families.
Our vision is for all new undergraduate students to successfully join the UW-Madison community and that this transition is commonly understood as a journey beginning with SOAR and continuing throughout students’ first year.
To advance toward this vision, SOAR staff members will:
- Expose new students to the array of academic and social opportunities at UW-Madison, commonly referred to as the Wisconsin Experience;
- Begin integrating new students into the life of the University;
- Work with students and their families to promote a positive mutual understanding of University life;
- Develop effective assessment practices to evaluate and improve the SOAR program;
- Fulfill the mission and vision in developmentally appropriate ways, drawing on the expertise of faculty and staff
- Continuously explore and implement effective ways to provide a common experience for all new students while simultaneously supporting individual and group needs, which are currently understood to include but not be limited to: international students, returning adult students, students of color, students with disabilities, and transfer students;
- Be mindful of the challenges inherent in providing both equitable and unique services and support to all students.
SOAR is just one component of your transition to UW–Madison. CFYE offers many opportunities throughout your first year to help build the foundation of your Wisconsin Experience. CFYE strives to help incoming students adjust to life at UW-Madison and improve their first year on campus through its four focus areas: Academic Engagement, Inclusion Education, Orientation, and Transfer.