1) Complete Your Admissions Checklist
The Office of Admissions requires specific tasks for all incoming students after they are admitted. Please complete your Admissions checklist before starting your SOAR reservation.
2) Placement Testing
The University of Wisconsin System has developed an online placement testing process. This will allow you to complete your required testing in your home community.
Registration for online placement testing is open for students enrolling for Fall of 2022. More information can be found on the Placement Testing page ! You must log in to the registration page using your UW-Madison NetID and password. If you’ve activated your NetID but have forgotten your NetID password, you can reset it online with the NetID Password Reset Tool. If you have forgotten your NetID, you can recover it using the self-service NetID Recovery Tool. Within two business days after registering, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a password and instructions to access the online placement testing system. Students who are required to take placement testing must complete their placement test(s) at least two weeks before their SOAR advising session.
Contact Testing and Evaluation Services at email@example.com or (608) 262-5863 if you have questions during the testing registration process. If you already completed a required test through the UW System, please use our Missing Placement Test Scores report form.
3) Explore your Academic options
During your SOAR reservation process, you will select the advising group that best matches your academic interests and goals. You will work with the advisors in your group to:
- Learn more about the requirements for earning a UW-Madison degree.
- Explore your academic options
- Strategically choose courses based on your academic experiences and goals.
- Enroll in your first semester classes.
Please review the two resources below to help you choose your SOAR advising group!
4) Complete your SOAR Reservation
You must register for SOAR using our online reservation system. This process will involve making your SOAR profile and selecting a SOAR session. During your SOAR session, you will:
- Have your one-on-one meeting with a professional academic advisor from your advising group.
- Finish your SOAR advising requirements.
- Receive permissions and guidance for enrolling in your first semester courses.
Before your SOAR advising session, you must complete:
- All your required placement tests online
- The Preparing for SOAR module in MyUW (due 2 weeks before your advising week – required for Virtual SOAR)
- Your assigned SOAR Student Program Canvas content (available starting mid-June)
Summer SOAR will be offered from mid-June through August. Because of space limitations and school/college availability, we cannot guarantee a specific SOAR session in advance of your SOAR reservation. After you select your advising group, you will be presented with a list of available SOAR advising sessions. When registering for SOAR, here’s what you should know:
- SOAR will be offered both in-person and virtually. Students will attend only one of the two options depending on which student population they belong to. More information about both programs is available on the program overview page.
- If you are a domestic freshman, you will attend SOAR in-person.
- If you are a transfer or international student, you will attend SOAR virtually.
- The SOAR in-person program will take place over a period of two days, in contrast, the virtual SOAR program will extend over a period of a whole week.
- If you are attending SOAR virtually, you will not need to dedicate all your time to SOAR during your advising week. However, you should have flexible availability that week to focus on your SOAR advising requirements and course enrollment process. You will work with your SOAR advising group to schedule an appointment time that works for you during that week.
- If you are attending SOAR in-person, you are expected to attend the full two-day program.
- SOAR session availability varies across advising units during the summer.
- A later SOAR session is not a disadvantage. Our University manages course enrollment to ensure every new student has the greatest number of options all summer. All students will receive a full course schedule that fulfills undergraduate degree requirements.
- SOAR is just your first step into academic advising at UW. You can continue to talk with advisors throughout your time as a Badger.
Click the button below to access the SOAR Reservation System. In the meantime, you can enter all your personal information to make your SOAR profile. Please remember you are only authorized to make a SOAR reservation after your enrollment deposit has been processed by the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.
5) Understanding SOAR & Getting Started
After you have registered for SOAR, it is time to get started! The information on our SOAR Program Overview page will outline the requirements to complete the SOAR program as well as a full outline of the SOAR experience. This guide will be useful as you navigate through SOAR!