1) Complete Your Admissions Checklist
The Office of Admissions requires specific tasks for all incoming students after they are admitted. Please complete your Admissions checklist before starting your SOAR reservation.
2) Placement Testing
The University of Wisconsin System is developing an online placement testing process. This will allow you to complete your required testing in your home community. We will announce more information on our Placement Testing page when it is available.
Registration for online placement testing is now open! Click the Register for Placement Testing button below to begin the process. You must log in to this registration page using your UW-Madison NetID and password. If you’ve activated your NetID but have forgotten your NetID password, you can reset it online with the NetID Password Reset Tool. If you have forgotten your NetID, you can recover it using the self-service NetID Recovery Tool. Within two business days after registering, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a password and instructions to access the online placement testing system. Students who are required to take placement testing must complete their placement test(s) at least two weeks before their SOAR advising week.
Contact Testing and Evaluation Services at email@example.com or (608) 262-5863 if you have questions during the testing registration process. If you already completed a required test through the UW System, please use our Missing Placement Test Scores report form.
3) Explore your Academic options
During your SOAR reservation process, you will select the advising group that best matches your academic interests and goals. You will work with the advisors in your group to:
- Learn more about the requirements for earning a UW-Madison degree.
- Explore your academic options
- Strategically choose courses based on your academic experiences and goals.
- Enroll in your first semester classes.
Please review the two resources below to help you choose your SOAR advising group!
UW-Madison has over 230 undergraduate majors and certificates. Use the UW Guide to explore all our academic programs and filter by interest area.
4) Complete your SOAR Reservation
You must register for SOAR using our online reservation system. This process will involve making your SOAR profile and selecting an Advising Week. During your SOAR Advising Week, you will:
- Have your one-on-one meeting with a professional academic advisor from your advising group (virtual or phone).
- Finish your SOAR advising requirements.
- Receive permissions and guidance for enrolling in your first semester courses.
Before your SOAR Advising Week, you must complete:
Summer SOAR will be offered from mid-June through August. Because of space limitations and school/college availability, we cannot guarantee a specific week in advance of your SOAR reservation. After you select your advising group, you will be presented with a list of available SOAR advising weeks. When registering for SOAR, here’s what you should know:
- You will not need to dedicate all your time to SOAR during your advising week. However, you should have flexible availability that week to focus on your SOAR advising requirements and course enrollment process. You will work with your SOAR advising group to schedule an appointment time that works for you during that week.
- Advising Week availability also varies across advising units during the summer.
- A later SOAR advising week is not a disadvantage. Our University manages course enrollment to ensure every new student has the greatest number of options all summer. All students will receive a full course schedule that fulfills undergraduate degree requirements.
- SOAR is just your first step into academic advising at UW. You can continue to talk with advisors throughout your time as a Badger.
Click the button below to access the SOAR Reservation System. In the meantime, you can enter all your personal information to make your SOAR profile. Please remember you are only authorized to make a SOAR reservation after your enrollment deposit has been processed by the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.
Understanding SOAR & Getting Started
After you have registered for SOAR, it is time to get started! The information on our Understanding SOAR & Getting Started Page will outline the technology required to complete the SOAR program as well as a full outline of the SOAR experience. This guide will be useful as you navigate through SOAR!
5) Make your next steps as a Badger
Your New Student To-Do List in MyUW is a streamlined, online guide of your required tasks. SOAR is one step of your transition to becoming a Badger. Be sure to continue checking your e-mail for more updates and help.
Throughout your SOAR experience, you will be able to connect with current Badgers who are eager to answer your questions. Check out our SOAR student staff page to meet all the fellow Badgers who help you find your place in our campus community.
We are very excited to make SOAR a summer-long experience for new Badgers and their families! We will also be providing the following this summer:
1) An online SOAR experience for parents and family members of incoming Badgers.
2) A calendar of live events for new students and their family members to create connections and learn more about what our campus has to offer.
We will announce more details about these opportunities and more in the coming weeks on this website.