The Office of Student Transition and Family Engagement (OSTFE) is committed to providing you with the necessary support to help facilitate a successful transition for your student. For this reason, we offer a concurrent SOAR Parent & Family Program.
We recognize that you play a central role in your student’s life and that you will continue to be a source of guidance and support during your student’s college years. Nevertheless, we encourage you to look at your interactions with your student in a different way. You will move from being the primary caregiver and decision-maker to being more of a mentor or coach. We know for many parents this is a significant change, and OSTFE will help you find the resources to navigate this transition. By participating in the SOAR Parent & Family program you will:
- Understand the transition process of new students to UW-Madison
- Understand and have confidence in the academic advising process at UW-Madison
- Understand campus resources and opportunities available to you and your student
- Have the opportunity to connect with UW-Madison staff/faculty, students, and other participants in the SOAR program
- Feel comfortable and confident in their your student’s decision to attend UW-Madison
Parents and family members of Domestic Freshmen and Domestic Transfer students will have the opportunity to attend SOAR with their student on campus. The program will include informational sessions, interactions with UW leadership and staff, and a meal. The program is $50 per guest. Parents and guardians are highly encouraged to attend. While siblings and other family members are welcome to attend the program, the content is not designed for them. Sign-up is done through your student’s SOAR reservation.