Please be patient when contacting our office, response times may be longer than usual. At this time, we are preparing for a in-person SOAR program this summer with registration opening on May 4th at 12:00 Noon.
Before coming to campus, use this website as your guide to prepare for your SOAR session. This site provides key information regarding SOAR and links to a variety of campus offices and resources to help you access the most up-to-date information for your transition to UW-Madison.
If you have additional questions, you can also always contact the SOAR office by email at email@example.com. We can’t wait to see you on campus! On, Wisconsin!
1) Complete Your Admissions Steps
The Office of Admissions provides information for new freshmen, transfer, and international students who are transitioning to UW-Madison. Please complete the correct checklist for your admit type before continuing with the SOAR registration process.
Admission Checklist for Spring-Admitted Students
2) Plan Your Placement Test(s)
Campus response plans in the face of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) have caused disruption to many university services, including placement testing. In the event that specific test dates are canceled, individuals registered for those events will be notified by email through the same email address used to complete the registration. Testing and Evaluation Services also maintains an updated list of test site closures.
Students are asked to retain the original emailed appointment confirmation and follow the instructions provided in that communication if they need to reschedule. Once normal operations resume, UW institutions will be introducing additional test dates to help compensate for those that were canceled.
Please check the following webpages from Testing and Evaluation Services for the most up-to-date information on testing availability and options:
No, we did not spell that word wrong. A badger’s home is called a “sett”. When you come to SOAR, you will meet many fellow Badgers and start making UW-Madison your home. SOAR gives you a closer look at what life is like for a UW–Madison student. This section is all about getting set for your SOAR experience.
3) Prepare to Make Your SOAR Reservation
Your SOAR reservation process involves making several key decisions. Please take time to complete the planning tasks below and ensure you are fully prepared to make your SOAR reservation.
Preview the Content of SOAR
Our SOAR Program Overview page and Schedule at Glance pages provide a preview into the program to help start envisioning your SOAR experience.
Select Your SOAR Advising Group
During SOAR registration, you'll select the advising unit that best fits your academic goals. At SOAR, you'll work with advisors in your unit to explore academic options and enroll in courses. Please review the SOAR Advising Guide to help you decide!
Decide if You Will Bring Parents/Guests
We welcome parents & family at SOAR! Our concurrent Parent & Guest Program at SOAR is specifically designed to empower parents/guests to learn more about campus resources and support networks to help their students succeed.
Accommodations for Disability and Language Interpretation
We strive to ensure all participants can fully participate in the SOAR program. If you or a guest need accommodations during SOAR, you must indicate your needs on your SOAR reservation. Click the links below for more information.
4) Explore the SOAR Reservation System
Summer & Fall 2020 admitted students will be able to start exploring the SOAR reservation system on Monday, March 2, 2020 at 12:00 PM CST. During this time, you can enter all your personal information for your SOAR reservation. Click the button below to access the SOAR Reservation System.
SOAR sessions will occur from mid-June through the end of August. Given the recent campus decisions about the impacts of COVID-19, the Center for the First-Year Experience has changed the opening of SOAR date selection to Monday, May 4 at 12:00 PM CST. University Health Services is maintaining an FAQ page on COVID-19, which contains comprehensive information and updates for campus. The health and safety of our campus community is our top priority and at the center of our decision-making.
Once you have confirmed your SOAR reservation, you need to ensure you are coming to Madison fully prepared. Make sure you complete the following tasks to finish your SOAR preparation and discover the exciting resources waiting for you.
We are so excited to see you on campus soon! Our SOAR staff are always happy to answer questions you have during your transition to the UW-Madison community. Welcome to the Badger family and On, Wisconsin!
5) Reserve Overnight Lodging
On-Campus SOAR Housing
6) Finish Other Important Tasks before SOAR
- Complete the Preparing for SOAR and Your First Year module in MyUW. This module asks you important questions regarding your academic history and provides information to help you get ready for your first year on campus. This module must be completed before arriving at SOAR.
- Thoroughly review your SOAR confirmation materials. Shortly after you finalize your SOAR reservation, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with your session’s details. You will also receive our mailed SOAR confirmation, which will provide all important information regarding SOAR.
- Plan your travel to Madison. Our Getting to Campus page provides information on multiple transportation options whether you are traveling by car, bus, or plane.
- Pay any outstanding SOAR fees. Visit our Paying for SOAR page fore more information on SOAR program fees. If you have any outstanding SOAR fees, please pay via our online payment system. Due to security reasons, we are unable to accept payment over the phone. We highly recommend making your payment online before your session. Failure to pay before attending will significantly slow down your check-in process.
- Update your SOAR reservation details (if needed). You can make any changes to your reservation up to one week before your selected session through the SOAR reservation system.
Continue checking off tasks in New Student To-Do List (U.S. Freshman only)
Your New Student To-Do List in MyUW is our streamlined, online guide to help you complete important required tasks before beginning classes at UW-Madison. Now that you've made yur SOAR reservation, that's one more task already done! Be sure to frequently check your e-mail for additional updates and assistance.
Looking to get a jump start on your Wisconsin Experience? In addition to SOAR, there are several other exciting summer opportunities for new students for new Badgers!